Aroma beads are small plastic pellets that can be scented, colored and made into air fresheners. There are countless ways to use aroma beads! Below, learn everything you need to know about these little beads so you can start creating.
What are aroma beads?
Aroma beads are made of virgin ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA) plastic, sometimes referred to as poly ethyl vinyl acetate (PEVA). This type of plastic has a slightly rubbery, yet firm feel. It is ideal for melting into shapes and has the ability to absorb colors and scents.
Are aroma beads the same thing as poly pellets?
No. Poly pellets might look the same as aroma beads, but they are made from polypropylene. This type of plastic does not absorb fragrance and color in the same way that EVA plastic does.
We do not recommend using poly pellets in place of aroma beads when making scented projects. However, you can use aroma beads for various types of projects that require poly pellets if you want. For example, both types of pellets can be used to make stuffed toys or weighted blankets.
Are aroma beads safe?
EVA plastic is BPA-free and phthalate-free. EVA pellets are not the same thing as EVA foam, which has a bad rap because it contains formaldehyde. The EVA pellets we sell do not contain formaldehyde.
While aroma beads are safe to use, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind:
- EVA pellets do not emit any harmful odors when melted at appropriate temperatures (we recommend an oven temp no greater than 350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- When melted at excessively high temperatures, aroma beads may burn and emit smoke.
- Do not expose beads to direct flames.
- Beads should not be used with a potpourri burner or wax tart warmer.
- Beads may pose a slipping hazard if spilled on the floor. Please carefully sweep up the beads right away if you spill any.
- Keep beads out of reach of children & pets. Beads pose a choking hazard due to their small size.
- Once fragrance is added, aroma beads and air fresheners should not be used for any projects that will come in contact with food.
- Tools and accessories used for mixing beads or melting beads into shapes should not be used again for food prep or come into contact with food.
- If using aroma beads in a project that will come in contact with skin, please use skin-safe fragrances. Refer to the IFRA statement for each fragrance to learn if it is skin safe.
How big are aroma beads?
Each pellet is approximately 3 to 4mm in length. Beads are flat and oval shaped, which helps prevent them from rolling all over the place if they spill. Pellets are uniform in size, which helps them melt evenly. However, exact size and shape can vary slightly from one bead to the next.
What is the volume of aroma beads per pound?
What is the melting point of EVA plastic?
Aroma beads will start melting at around 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You will need to use oven temps between 300 and 350 degrees Fahrenheit to get the beads to melt together.
What can you do with aroma beads?
There are so many ways to use aroma beads! Here are just a few fun projects to try:
- Put beads in a muslin sachet or organza bag to make an air fresher.
- Make car freshies by melting scented beads into fun shapes.
- Place beads in a clear glass jar for a fragrant centerpiece.
- Use beads as a scented filler for stuffed toys.
Check out our blog for more tutorials and project ideas!
Can I recycle aroma beads?
Unused (unscented) aroma beads may be recyclable depending on where you live. EVA is a number 7 plastic. If you have unused aroma beads, you may inquire with your local recycling agency to learn if it is accepted.
How do I dispose of aroma bead projects that have lost their scent?
Once an air freshener or car freshie has lost its scent, you might think throwing it in the trash is the only option. However, there are several things you can do with freshies that don’t smell anymore. We recommend trying some of these projects that allow you to keep using your beads while reducing plastic waste:
- Tie a shiny ribbon on old car freshies and use them as Christmas tree ornaments.
- Spritz a small amount of fragrance oil onto your car freshies to revive the scent. The oil won’t absorb in the same way it would with un-melted beads, but it will keep them smelling fresh.
- Hang old car freshies in the window and use them as a sun catcher.
You can also check our blog for more aroma bead inspiration! If an aroma bead project can’t be reused or revived, items made with aroma beads can be disposed of in the trash.